Digestive trouble can be one of the most embarrassing and uncomfortable diseases a person can have. As you may know, your life can be a wreck by not being able to go out in public due to fear of an attack. And never enjoying life to the fullest because you can only go places where there’s a bathroom a few steps away, or eating something and never knowing when the next “attack” will happen.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS or spastic colon)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS or spastic colon) is a diagnosis of exclusion. It is a functional bowel disorder characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits in the absence of any detectable organic cause. In some cases, the symptoms are relieved by bowel movements. Diarrhea or constipation may predominate, or they may alternate. IBS may begin after an infection, a stressful life event, or the onset of maturity without any other medical conditions.
What Makes Our Program Unique?
We Use Specific Metabolic And Neurological Testing And Support.
First, after a very thorough consultation, we determine if you have one or more of the following:
- Oxygen delivery abnormalities, also referred to as “anemia”
- Blood Sugar Imbalances (either too high or too low blood glucose levels)
- Liver and/or gastrointestinal issues
- Essential Fatty Acid metabolism
After your consultation and reviewing your previous lab tests, we will determine the need for
follow-up testing to find the exact hidden source of your problems. Tests may include:
1. Complete Blood Panels
By using specific blood tests such as a thyroid panel, a complete metabolic panel, a lipid panel, and a CBC (complete blood chemistry), we can evaluate most of the major organs to see if they are causing your problem or if they are affected by your problem and delaying healing. By addressing these issues, we can help you heal
2. Sensitivity Testing
This test is performed to determine if you have a sensitivity or reaction to gluten (wheat, rye, oats, and barley), milk, eggs, yeast, and soy. If you are sensitive to ANY of these food groups, it could be making your Irritable Bowel worse because it increases inflammation in your brain and throughout your body.
3. Adrenal Stress Index (ASI)
The adrenal glands sit right above the kidneys and they are your “stress” organs meaning that they react to stress.
4. Immune Panels
Your condition could be caused by an autoimmune disorder, a condition where your immune system attacks a particular area of the body (nervous system, joints, connective tissue, thyroid, brain etc.) If you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and you have an autoimmune condition, the autoimmune condition trumps everything and it MUST be the first thing that’s addressed.
5. Vitamin D Levels
Vitamin D is essential to proper regulation of your immune system and it has a wide range of other effects on the body.
6. Hormone Panels
We check hormones to determine if you suffer from low testosterone (in males) or low estrogen/progesterone (in females). Symptoms related to decreased hormone levels may include depression, fatigue, mental fogginess, mood swings, hot flashes, sweating attacks, weight gain, and decreased physical stamina.
We test for unbalanced brain neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are vital for proper brain function. Unbalanced neurotransmitters can cause increased pain, depression, anxiety, increased cravings for sugar & carbohydrates, fatigue, etc.
Finally, we may need to test for inflammation in your body by testing homocysteine levels and C- reactive protein (CRP). Many patients suffering from chronic health conditions suffer from whole body inflammation. Just about every chronic pain patient that I have treated suffers from some form of chronic inflammatory process.
Learn About Our Unique Neurological Treatments
1. Oxygen Enhancement
Oxygen is fuel for your brain and nervous system. By helping your body utilize oxygen better, we can help you heal faster. By enhancing oxygen uptake and utilization, we can increase firing to your brain. By increasing firing of brain, we help MANY chronic conditions.
You may have heard about free radicals. They are toxic molecules that attach to oxygen molecules and make the oxygen unavailable to nerve cells. This is why glutathione is such an important part of our comprehensive program. It protects nerve cells from free radicals. The nerve cell consumes a lot of oxygen because it acts very quickly. When it can’t get oxygen because of free radicals, it goes into hibernation and stops functioning…and that’s not good!
2. Brain-Based Therapy (BBT)
Brain-Based Therapy is the use of specific procedures to stimulate weak areas of the brain and greatly speed the recovery from acute and chronic conditions. We use specific Brain-Based Therapy such as:
- Unilateral Spinal Activation: Stimulating the joints on only one side of the spine. This activates the weaker side of the brain and cerebellum.
- Vibration Therapy: Vibration fires the back part of the brain called the cerebellum. One of the functions of the cerebellum is to maintain the flexibility of the spinal muscles.
- Sensory Stimulation: This may include auditory (hearing), visual (eyes), olfactory (smell), and caloric (warm water in the ear) stimulation to increase firing of the brain.
- Laser therapy: We use cold laser therapy in our office. Laser therapy helps heal tissues. This is an extremely powerful tool in cases of physical pain such as sciatica, migraine headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, knee pain and even stubborn cases of fibromyalgia.
- Metronome Therapy: This is a sensory therapy that increases firing of the frontal lobe part of the brain.
These are a few of the many treatments available in our office. Once we have run the necessary tests to determine the cause of your condition, we help you heal with a combination of neurological and metabolic/nutritional support.
Here’s What to Do Next . . .
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How has your Irritable Bowel affected your relationships, finances, family, or other activities?
- What has it cost you in time, money, happiness, and sleep?
- Where do you picture yourself in the next one to five years if your IBS is not taken care of soon?
- What is it worth to you if we could improve your condition? Are you willing to make some simple changes that will dramatically change your life?
If you are ready to get your life back, call my office at 303-985-5540 and tell my staff that you are interested in setting up a Consultation to discuss alternative treatments for irritable bowel with me, Dr. Steve Tashiro.
Our office is located at 12051 W. Alameda Pkwy., Unit D4 in Lakewood, CO, Market Square/King Soopers Shopping Center.